We had a lot of leftover spiral sliced ham from dinner and I wanted to try something new. I wanted something warm and comforting and tried this ham casserole. It seemed to be a big hit with the kids!
You will need:
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 1 cup diced onion
· 3 cups diced leftover ham
· 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) cream of chicken soup
· 1/2 cup milk
· salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· 4 to 5 cups leftover or freshly prepared mashed potatoes
· 2 large eggs
· 1/2 cup milk
· ¼ teaspoon celery salt
· 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley, or dried.
· 6 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1. Spray a 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking dish with a nonstick spray. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a skillet. Add in the onion and sauté. Stir occasionally and cook until onions are tender.
3. Add in the ham. Cook until the ham is lightly browned.
4. Stir in the soup and 1/2 cup milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Warm the mashed potatoes if they’re cold. It makes it easier to mix everything together.
6. Whisk eggs and milk together and beat into the potatoes. Add in the parsley and mix.
7. Reserve about 1/3 cup of cheese for topping. Add the rest of the cheese to the potato mixture and mix together.
8. Spoon ham mixture into the baking dish. Spread potatoes over the ham mixture and top with the reserved shredded cheese. Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, until lightly browned.