This is a cute spring time craft and you can use pretty much anything laying around your house to make it!
You will need:
- Washed and dried metal can (DM TIP: I liked the pull off lid cans better than the cans you have to open with a can opener. I found there are less sharp edges with a pull off lid.)
- Googly eyes
- Decorations to create a face: foam, felt, buttons, pipe cleaners, mini clothespins, pom pom balls, etc.
- Hot glue gun, super glue. You could also try glue dots, but the glue dots may fall off over time.
- Potting soil
- Flower, plant
- Optional: Small clear plastic cup to line the inside of the metal can.
- Cut out shapes for the eyes, nose, mouth.
- Glue onto can.
- Carefully fill the can with potting soil and plant your flower.
DM ALTERNATIVE: To make a longer lasting craft, you could use silk/fake flowers instead of a live plant. Place a piece of Styrofoam block in the bottom of the can and arrange your flowers. You could even decorate the can with construction paper, since you won't have to worry about it getting wet from watering the plant!
- Plant chives, basil, etc. to have a cute windowsill herb garden.
- Plant pretty flowers and make a cute face on the can for a Mother's Day gift. You could even make a necklace out of a pipe cleaner and beans and glue around the bottom of the can (like in the right side picture above).
- Make a goofy face and plant grass seeds or a small ornamental grass plant for a Father's Day gift.
- Make a Monster face for Halloween and use colorful mums for hair.
- Make this at Earth Day and try to use as many recycled items as possible!