Hanky Pankies are an appetizer that are a big hit in my family. I normally make them at Christmas, but they are great appetizers for a big football game party too! (They may not look awesome, but they taste great!)
To make them you will need:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork sausage (I like to use mild.)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Garlic powder, to taste. I usually like to add about 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon. I will also sometimes add a little black pepper.
- 1 loaf party rye bread
1. Brown the beef and sausage together. Drain. DM Tip: I find that mixing the meat together before I cook it helps make sure that the meats are evenly distributed.
2. Add garlic powder and cubed Velveeta. Cook slowly until cheese is completely melted, stirring occasionally. Make sure it is evenly mixed together.
3. Place about 1 tablespoon of mixture in the middle of each piece of bread.
4. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until the bread is toasty and the mixture is warm/hot, usually about 10-15 minutes.
DM Tip: You can make these ahead of time. Follow above directions until step 4. Place filled pieces of bread in a storage container or freezer Ziploc and freeze. When it's party time, take out and broil!