These are a great Halloween treat with tons of gross factor. They are pretty easy to make, but they are time consuming. I would recommend making the day before you want to serve them.
You will need:
- Flexi straws (about 100)
- 2 (3 oz sized) packages of cherry or raspberry jello
- 3 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 10-15 drops green food coloring
- 3 cups boiling water
- Tall container (such a glass or washed out quart sized juice or milk carton)
- Rubber band
1. Pour all the gelatin packets into a bowl.
2. Stir boiling water into gelatin until it completely dissolved.
3. Chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, or until room temperature/lukewarm.
4. Pull straws to full length and place in a tall container, flexi side down. To help hold straws together, place a rubber band around the straws. You want it to be loose, not squeezing the straws.
5. When the gelatin is cooled, pour whipping cream and food coloring in the bowl and mix together.
6. Next, pour the gelatin/cream mixture over the straws.
8. Pull the straws out of the container and remove worms from the straws. DM TIP: I found it easiest to run straws under warm/hot water for a couple seconds to loosen the jello from the straw. Make sure the water doesn't touch the jello! Next, I squeezed the end of the straw between my fingers and worked my way down the straw.
9. Let sit again in the fridge for about 1 hour to help set after being warmed up by the water.
10. Serve and enjoy!
DM TIP: The whipping cream is to help make the worms have some opaque spots. A non-dairy cream might work as well. Do NOT use a whipped topping like Cool-Whip: I found out the hard way that it does not make the worms have cloudy spots.