When Is My Friend, Little White Butterfly Coming Back? post.) We are still making the butterfly shaped snacks, but we made a few new crafts this year.
handprint butterfly works great for older kids.
You will need:
- Craft paint
- Paper (cardstock works best)
- Black marker
- Paint brushes
Directions: Lightly paint your child's foot and press onto paper. You want to press the left foot on the right side of the paper and the right foot on the left side of the paper to form the wings. Leave a little space between the wings. Once the paint is dried, you will use the marker to draw on the body and antennae. Dip a finger in paint and dot on to form the top of the antennae.
To make it extra fun for the kids, leave the paintbrushes and paint within reach while you leave to get some rags for clean up! I left to grab some wet rags to wipe off Higgin's feet. I came back and he had painted the extra pieces of paper, his feet, and part of the kitchen floor. Oh well, at least it was relatively easy to clean up.
For a really easy butterfly, try making a paper cut out of a butterfly.
You will need:
- Piece of white paper
- Paint or markers
- Black or brown pipe cleaners for antennae.
1. Fold the paper in half and cut out a butterfly shape (or use the stencil below*).
2. Paint decorative spots on the cut out.
3. When the paint is dry, glue the pipe cleaners to the back of the head.
Other Butterfly Posts You May Like:
When Is My Friend, Little White Butterfly Coming Back?
Here are some facts I found online:
- Butterflies can see the colors yellow, red, green, and colors in the ultraviolet range.
- Butterflies use their antennae to "smell" and their feet to taste.
- Most butterflies use their tongues to sip nectar from flowers for food.
- The dust on the butterflies wings are actually tiny scales.
- Butterflies live from 2 days up to 11 months.
- The smallest butterfly is the Western Pygmy Blue with a wingspan of up to 7 mm.
- The largest butterfly is the Queen Alexandra's Birdwing with a wingspan up to 12 1/2 inches.
*Cut Out Butterfly Stencil