SIMPLE PIE JARS:
You will need:
- Small Mason or Ball jars, 4 oz size. My local stores only had the wide mouth Half Pint size, but Amazon also has cute 4 oz jars in a quilted design.
- Pie crusts (I used refrigerated pie crusts). I found that a box of 2 pie crusts made 4-5 small pies.
- Pie filling. It can be as simple as a canned pie filling.
- Aluminum foil or silicone baking mat
- Large baking dish or cookie sheet
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Use the lid of the mason jar to cut a circle out of the pie dough for each pie jar. This will be the pie's top crust. I used a store bought refrigerated dough; however since I like a thinner crust, I rolled out the dough.
3. Use the rest of the crust to fill the jar for the bottom crust. Make sure to fill to the top of the jar so there is enough dough to crimp the top crust to the bottom crust.
4. Fill the jar with about 3-4 tablespoons of filling. DM Tip: Don't overfill! My filling rose quite a bit while baking and then settled back down while it cooled.
5. If desired, cut out shapes from the top crust and set aside. For example, use hearts for Valentine's Day, stars for 4th of July or Christmas.
6. Place the top crust on the pie and crimp the edges together.
7. Place the cut outs on top of the crust.
8. Place mat on cookie sheet or inside baking pan.
9. Place pie jars on sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes.
10. Allow jars to cool before serving.
6 Ingredient Chocolate Pie
You will need:
- Pie crust
- 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted (this is a 1/2 stick of butter)
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- Optional: 1/2 Tablespoon coffee. I think adding a little coffee enhances the chocolate.