|I couldn't find my regular loaf pan, so I used a small |
loaf pan. It turned out really well.
Whole Wheat Bread
Prep: 20 min., Cook 25-30 min., Ready in 3 hours.
Makes 3 loaves (36 servings)
This is a basic recipe, but it can be changed in many ways. See the Daily Messes (DM) Tips and Variations below!
You will need:
3 cups warm water
2 (.25 oz) packages active dry yeast
1/3 cup honey
5 cups bread flour
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
1 tbsp salt
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp butter, melted
1. In a large bowl mix warm water, yeast, 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups white bread flour, stir to combine. Let sit 30 min. or until big and bubbly.
2. Mix 3 tbsp melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt together and add into large bowl with flour/yeast mix. Mix. Stir in 2 cups wheat flour. Knead until not too sticky (smooth), about 5-8 minutes. DM Tip: Knead in a bowl, so you don't have a mess to clean up on your counter! Dough may take an additional 2-4 cups whole wheat flour during kneading to reduce stickiness.
3. Butter a large bowl and place in the bread dough, turn once to coat both sides of dough. Cover with clean dish towel. Let rise in warm place until doubled. DM Tip: In cold climates, turn on oven light (NOT the oven), cover, and let rise in oven. Light gives off enough heat to help rise.
4. Punch down. Divide into 3 loaves and place in greased 9x5 loaf pans. Allow to rise until dough has topped pans by 1 inch.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. The bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Lightly brush tops of loaves with 2 tbsp melted butter to prevent crust from getting hard.
6. Cool completely on rack, not in pan.
Additional DM Tips:
* Can substitute sugar for honey, use same amount.
* Substitute unsweetened applesauce for butter.
* Can wrap, bag, and freeze.
* Add flax seeds, sunflower seeds, 10 grain mix.
* Use all whole wheat flour.
* After brush the tops with butter, sprinkle on oats.
* Cinnamon Raisin: Roll out dough. Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mix and raisins on top. Roll tightly up. Pinch ends together.