Now onto the rest of the post...
I love French Toast! I remember eating it as a kid and I make it for my kids now. I did not like syrup as a kid, so I sometimes had powdered sugar sprinkled over the top.
It's so easy to make: you just need slices of bread, egg(s), cinnamon, and your toppings. If you've never made it before, here's how:
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Spray with non-stick spray.
2. Beat together an egg and cinnamon. (Usually 1 egg per 2 slices of bread, depending on your bread. I usually use 1/2 tsp cinnamon per 1 egg. Sometimes I'll add 1/2 tsp of vanilla as well.)
3. Dip both sides of the bread into the egg mix.
4. Place in warm skillet and let cook until egg is cooked on the bread and has a nice golden brown color.
5. Place French Toast on a plate and serve with syrup, your favorite jam, powdered sugar, etc.
You can also add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the toast while it is in the pan. Heat a metal spatula over a different burner and place on top of sugar to create an instant glaze. Or sprinkle on sugar, flip over in pan to caramelize!
Lately, I've been trying different types of bread. First I tried a loaf I got at the Farmer's Market that was made with whole wheat, flax seeds, fennel, and I think sunflower seeds. It made an awesome grilled cheese and French Toast! Next, I used a rustic Italian loaf, which also worked well. This morning I tried banana bread (using my Banana Muffin recipe, but with all chocolate chips). It turned out pretty well too, although I think I needed to slice the bread thinner.)
|Farmer's Market Loaf|
|Sandwich Bread French Toast at top|
Banana Bread French Toast bottom
What's your favorite way to eat French Toast? Do you have any good recipes? Please share!