- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast, dissolved in 1 tablespoons warm water
- ½ cup skim or 2% milk
- ½ to 2/3 cup hot water, enough to make a smooth, soft dough
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Misc.: loaf pan, non-stick spray, plastic wrap
- Mix together the cold milk and ½ cup of the hot water.
- Combine all ingredients together and mix until the dough starts to come off the sides of the bowl. Slowly add more water if needed to form a smooth dough, but not sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a silicone mat or a greased surface and knead for 6-8 minutes. You want it to be smooth.
- Lightly butter the inside of a bowl and set dough inside. Cover and let rise until doubled (usually 1-2 hours).
- Shape the dough into a log that will fit into the loaf pan, about 8” long.
- Lightly spray a piece of plastic wrap and cover the dough, oiled side down. You want the plastic wrap to be loose, not tight. Let rise about 1 hour, or until domed above the pan.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. The bottom of the loaf should sound hollow, or an instant read thermometer should read 190 degrees F at the center.
- Remove and let cool on wire rack.