These are a fun snack to make with the kids. Mine love rolling the mix into balls. I will warn you, they are slightly addictive. We made a batch and they were gone within 3 days. Unfortunately, I think I ate at least half of them. (I'm a sucker for chocolate and peanut butter!)
For this snack you will need:
- 1 cup peanut butter (Creamy or Chunky)
- 2 cups Cherrios cereal (Plain or Honey Nut)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (I used 1/2 cup milk chocolate and 1/2 cup dark chocolate on the ones shown above.)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Wax paper
- Double Broiler
|Spooning on chocolate|
- Cover a baking sheet or cookie sheet with wax paper.
- In a double broiler, heat chocolate chips. Stir constantly until smooth. Take off heat. (If you do not have a double broiler, Noric Ware has a double broiler insert for a saucepan that works really well. I have one and love it!)
- In a bowl, mix together powdered sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter until well blended. (I used a hand mixer, which worked really well.)
- Add in cereal and stir until it is evenly coated. (I used a spoon to stir in the cereal so it wouldn't be broken by the mixer.)
- To help the mix not stick to your hands, lightly spray with cooking spray. Roll 1 Tablespoon of mixture into a 1 1/2 inch ball.
- Press the balls lightly onto the cookie sheet to flatten the bottom (so they don't roll off).
- Using a spoon, place about 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate onto the top of each ball.
- Set in refrigerator to cool and firm (about 30 minutes). Store in the refrigerator in a covered container.
Other ideas: These would be great for a party or as an add-on for your Christmas cookie tray. Try using Candy Melts instead of chocolate to make them fit your needs. For example:
- 4th of July: Red, White, and Blue Candy Melts
- Easter: Pastel Candy Melts (Yellow, Pink, Green)
- Spring: Pastel Candy Melts
- Halloween: Orange and Black Candy Melts (or melted chocolate would work too).
- Christmas: Red and Green Melts
- Hanukkah: Blue and White Candy Melts
- Baby Showers: Pale Pink or Blue Candy Melts. If they don't know the gender, Pale Yellow and Green Candy Melts.